What to Use for Cleaning Metal Pendant Lights
To clean your metal pendant lights the right way it’s important you use the right cleaning solution so as not to damage, scratch, or otherwise hurt the finish of your metal pendant lights.
I like to start by putting together a basic cleaning solution and grabbing a few tools. The best liquid solutions to use for your metal pendant lights include any of the following or a diluted mixture of:
- Plain tap or filtered water
- Distilled water
- Mild cleaning detergents
- Glass-safe detergent
- Warm water
- Soapy water with dish soap or castile soap
- Metal polish
- Watered down rubbing alcohol
- Watered down vinegar
This also applies to rustic pendant lights as well.
Tools for Cleaning Metal Pendant Lighting
Along with using the right mild and watered-down solutions, cleaning them with gentle and non-abrasive tools.
The best types of cloths and cleaning items are:
- Soft microfiber cloths
- Had towels
- Gentle hand-held lamp shade vacuums
- Spray bottle
- A damp cloth for washing
- Dry cloth for dusting
How Often Should You Clean Your Pendant Lighting?
I recommend cleaning your pendant lighting by washing, dusting, and (optionally) waxing it at least once per year. To reduce build-up and improve shine, clean two to four times per year.
To clean your indoor hanging meal pendant lighting do the following:
- Turn off power to them and put on a pair of gloves (dishwashing or other gloves work great here).
- Take the light bulbs out gently with a cloth and wipe them. Gently set them on a table or surface where they can’t roll off.
- Wipe the metal part of the pendant light with a damp cloth of watered-down non-chemical solution
- Dry with a soft dry cloth
- Reassemble the lights
How to Deep Clean a Metal Pendant Light Fixture
Make sure they’re cool and the bulbs are as well before getting started. Next use the following steps to deep clean any dirt, grime, patina, and oxidation:
- Put on kitchen gloves or similar. Carefully remove all bulbs and dust them with a dry cloth and put them on a table.
- Remove the metal pendant by either lifting or unscrewing it
- Warm a lint-free cloth with water then wipe all surfaces inside and outside of the metal fixture
- Dry the metal with a dry microfiber cloth
- Brush the metal and chain with a gentle brush
- Replace the pendant.
- Wipe again, if needed.
- Replace the bulbs.
Light Cleaning & Maintenance Tips
I like to quickly clean off my light fixtures on a regular basis so I can avoid spending too much time have to work extra hard on them later. Try the following tips for light cleaning and maintenance:
- Use an extended feather duster
- Get on a step-stool or small ladder and give your metal pendant light a dusting with a lint-free cloth
- Use your duster gloves to wipe down the lighting fixture without removing the shade or metal pendant
- Give your metal pendant light a light dusting and a gentle coating of wax for some extra shine
- Use a microfiber cloth for a quick lightbulb swipe to get a brighter glow
- Spot-treat any stains with a damp cloth and a drop of mild, unscented dish soap with water
- Consider using a keyboard cleaner to blow any unwanted dust bits away without disassembling your metal pendant light
- Spot treat any scratches with protective metal lacquer
How to Clean the Light Bulbs on a Pendant Light
If you remove your bulbs and see that they are simply dirty, don’t scrub them as this may cause them to crack or even shatter, leaving you with a dangerous mess.
- Gently rub the bulbs with a soft, dry cloth.
- If hard-to-remove spots or stains are left, you can very lightly dampen the cloth before drying again. Optionally add soapy water to the cloth and gently rub the bulb until the dirty areas are clean.