When you spill a colored drink like Gatorade over an item of clothing or somewhere in your home, it can feel hopeless due to the dyes used in the drink.
However, not all hope is lost. A Gatorade spill on clothing, upholstery, or carpet doesn’t have to turn into a permanent stain if you have the right techniques and cleaning products at your disposal.
In this article, I cover some cleaning methods on how to remove Gatorade stains. So, next time you have a tough blue or red stain to tackle, you have a few options at your disposal.
Keep reading to find out more.
Dealing with stains – basics first
There’s nothing like a tough stain to put a dampener on your day, especially when it comes to removing the bright color of Gatorade. Red Gatorade, for instance, leaves a nasty, bright stain that clings onto materials, particularly light-colored or thick materials like a grey carpet!
However, while it’s frustrating, there are a few products that you can try to help you remove the Gatorade stain. You can try cleaning both wet or dry Gatorade spills by using a variety of accessible household ingredients and materials, such as club soda, dish soap, or vinegar.
It’s important to note that for the best results, you should take action as soon as you can. As soon as you spill Gatorade on your carpet you need to start cleaning it up right away.
A delay could lead to further damage to your flooring and the stain might become permanent if it’s left to sit for too long.
How to remove Gatorade stains from machine-washable fabrics
If you spill Gatorade on a machine-washable fabric such as a t-shirt, your first steps should be to rinse out as much of the spot as possible under lukewarm water. If the Gatorade spill is fresh, rinsing your t-shirt under warm tap will rinse some of the Gatorade color out and make the cleanup process a little bit easier.
However, once you’ve rinsed the Gatorade stain, you’ll then need to soak your t-shirt in an oxygen bleach mixture.
To do this, mix 1/4 cup of oxygen bleach with one gallon of lukewarm water in a clean bucket or large plastic container. Using an oxygen bleach is especially important if the fabric is not white, as it is much gentler and cleans without damaging the color of your clothes.
Oxygen bleach takes a while longer than regular bleach to work its magic, so you’ll want to soak the fabric for several hours.
After you’ve allowed the stained t-shirt or fabric to soak for a few hours, it’s time to wash the item according to the instructions on the care tag. Use your regular laundry detergent and put it on a standard wash cycle.
How to remove Gatorade stains from carpet
There are a few methods that you can use when trying to remove Gatorade stains from your carpet. These methods include but are not limited to:
Club soda treatment
Using club soda for stains helps to remove the dyes that you’d find in sugary fruity drinks, punch, and electrolyte drinks with artificial colors.
- Start with blotting the carpet as much as you can through a paper towel or an absorbent towel. However, it’s important that you do not rub the stain, as this may cause it to bleed and spread to other areas.
- Blot the stain, pressing firmly into the paper towel to absorb as much liquid as possible. The stain should shrink and will not spread further whilst the paper towel absorbs the Gatorade.
- Following this, pour a small amount of club soda onto the stain to wet the area. It’s important to only use a small amount of club soda, as you don’t want to saturate your carpet with too much moisture as this can lead to dampness and mold growth if it doesn’t dry properly.
- Keep on blotting the spot with a fresh paper towel or absorbent towel. Elbow grease is important here! Keep blotting until the Gatorade dye is transferred onto the towel.
- If the stain is still on the carpet after you’ve blotted for a significant period of time, then you can try adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to a quart of warm water as a treatment for any remaining Gatorade stain on the carpet.
- Wet a white cloth with the vinegar solution, then press the cloth over the remainder of the stain.
- Allow the cloth to sit on top of the stain for 30 minutes, then wipe from the outside edges of the discolored area toward the center.
- Blot clean with a small amount of water, then pat dry with a clean cloth.
An alkaline cleaner is great for tackling tough stains – especially when it comes to Gatorade. Alkaline cleaner works to effectively clean your carpet without ruining the carpet texture.
- Begin by adding 1 tablespoon of alkaline detergent and 1 tablespoon of dishwashing soap to a cup.
- Add a quarter cup of warm water and stir to mix the two together.
- Next, you will need to find a white cloth. It’s crucial that you don’t use a colored cloth, because the color of the colored cloth will transfer to the carpet, and it will defeat the purpose of trying to remove a stain!
- Dip the white cloth into the cup, and begin to dab the solution on top of the Gatorade stain.
- Leave the cloth over the stain for around one minute and proceed to dap the stain away.
For more stubborn stains, you may need to repeat this process a few times to achieve the desired results. Sometimes, you’ll need to apply the solution twice or even three times to ensure that there is no residue of the stain left.
White vinegar treatment
Distilled white vinegar is a natural cleaning product and can to kill some household bacteria, cut through grime, remove stains, and help to abolish unpleasant odors. As a result, it’s worth trying for Gatorade messes too.
- Start by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to a quarter cup of warm water.
- Dip a fresh white cloth in the white vinegar solution and press it hard against the Gatorade stain.
- Leave the cloth as it is on the stain for 30 minutes. After that, you’ll need to wipe thoroughly towards the center from the outside edges of the area which is discolored.
- Blot to clean the surface with the help of some water. Use a fresh white cloth and pat dry the surface.
How to remove Gatorade stains from upholstery
Blot up as much of the liquid as possible right away with paper towels or an old absorbent towel. Blot, rather than rub, the spot to ensure it doesn’t spread or go deeper.
It may take several different tries to get the Gatorade completely out of the upholstery. Do the following:
- Once you’ve blotted up the stain, pour a small amount of club soda over a Gatorade stain, using just enough to rewet the stain.
- Blot the spot with paper towels until all of the Gatorade dye transfers over to the paper.
- If this doesn’t work to get out the stain, you can add 1 tablespoon each of liquid dish soap and vinegar to 2 cups of cool water.
- Dip a clean sponge or a white cloth into the liquid. Wet the Gatorade spot on the carpet or upholstery with the solution, and allow it to sit for 30 minutes.
- Once half an hour has passed, blot the stain with a dry white cloth. Alternate between dry cloths and cloth dipped into the solution until the stain vanishes.
- Dab the area again with clean cool water, then blot dry.